Posted: January 18, 2018
This final writing assignment is worth 30% of your final mark. It is and open book (as in you can consult books, the internet, discuss with others...) written final reflection. Do not just ramble off the top of your head in a stream of consciousness - take time to plan and organize your thoughts before you start writing with an introduction, several paragraphs and a conclusion. Total length 600-1000 word, but don't get hung up on counting words - you want to put in good detail and reflection not try to impress with lots of word or just enough.
- Discuss what you consider to be the biggest issue(s) in the world today.
- What are some possible solutions for our government or international organization?
- What is your role in changing world issues? How can you effect change?
The discussion lacks insight, depth or is superficial.
Response could be short and/or have irrelevant information.
It shows little understanding or evidence to support opinions.
The writing shows some limited insight, depth and is mostly connected with the main topic. It may contain some irrelevant material. The writing shows some understanding of the topic.
The discussion shows some insight and depth. The content is connected with the topic. It may contain some irrelevant material but is for the most part on task. The student's personal opinion is expressed in an appropriate style. The opinions are supported by detail and examples that show understanding of the content.
The writing shows insight, depth and understanding. It is well connected with the topic. All content is relevant. The student's personal opinion is expressed in an appropriate style. It shows a high level of understanding and learning.
· Incomplete and many grammatical mistakes
· Information is unclear
· Many spelling errors
· Information may be off topic
· Wording is unclear
· Organization is sometimes hard to follow
· Some spelling mistakes
· Some parts off topic
· Good organization
· Ideas flows from one to the next
· No spelling errors
· Well organized ideas
· Words/ideas/sentences are clear and flow intelligently from one to the next
· Did not do a lot of research
· A lot of information is guessed/common knowledge/incorrect
· Limited research with some understanding of the situation but it may be limited to only one specific situation
· Good research
· Credible sources
· Discussion includes several countries outside of Canada
· Advanced research
· Able to explain in depth while discussing well beyond just the Canadian experience